Local tax indicators - what have we achieved?
A list of indicators for LRP staff to categorise and assess their gains on tax. This can be shared with community people too.
- To list local gains on tax in a closed, comparable manner along LRPs and countries (for detailed stories, see next tool).
- Have a look at the following list and tick the ones that you think your local area has achieved victories on:
You may want to briefly describe the gains above. For example: In our context, the government was legislating to introduce VAT on agricultural products like fertilisers and hoes but we got together, collected signatures and prevented the passing of the law.[Optional]:
- Local people know more about tax justice now although no action has happened yet
- There was tax harassment during tax collection and we helped reduce/eliminate it
- There was tax corruption during tax collection and we helped reduce/eliminate it
- There was a sudden sharp increase in tax and we helped reduce/eliminate it
- There was multiple taxation and we helped reduce/eliminate it
- There was an attempt to increase VAT and we helped prevent it
- There was an excessive VAT general rate and we got to bring it down
- There were no VAT exemptions on essential products and we helped introduce them
- There was a threat to reduce VAT exemptions on essential products and we helped keep them
- We helped advocate for fair tax to improve a public service for women’s rights
- We helped advocate for fair tax to improve a public service for quality public education
- We participated in creating or reviewing ActionAid’s strategy for campaigning on fair tax
- We advocated with decision-makers, influencers or media at the district, national or international level on the impact of lack of fair tax on poor people’s lives
- We helped put pressure on a large company to pay fair share of tax
- Another gain (explain):
- You may want to use the Kite tool to assess your progress regarding how well the local level has connected to national and international levels in both directions: local work feeding the national/international and national/international work feeding the local.
- ActionAid's Tax Power Campaign Reflection-Action Toolkit, ActionAid, December 2015.
Here you can download some useful resources.
We have used this tool or method
Used in these toolboxes
Do you have a comment or question about this Tool or Method? Discuss it with the rest of the community.